Luke in the Last Jedi

Post, chat, or discuss topics related to Star Wars, modeling, 3D graphics, or something close to this.

Luke in the Last Jedi

Postby duck » April 15th, 2018, 5:49 pm

I can understand that people are upset about Luke’s characterization in the Last Jedi. However, when I think about how Luke himself discusses the moment he confronts Ben, I think he never considered that Snoke was manipulating him. We know Snoke is old and studied the Force for a long time. We also know he used abilities unfamiliar to us, like bridging Kylo and Rey’s minds. It is not that far of a leap to consider that Snoke did something to Luke during that fateful night. Snoke was already working on Ben and knew that all it would take is a moment of disillusionment to completely turn Ben. So, when Luke went to confront Ben, I can see Snoke controlling events. Luke doesn’t even consider the possibility that Snoke was influencing him, just Ben. But if Snoke made it seem that Ben was already fully turned and, here’s the kicker, made Luke ignite his saber. Remember, Luke tells Rey he didn’t fully realize what he was doing until he was about to strike. That’s because Snoke was behind it. Because of Snoke’s tampering with Luke’s mind, Luke’s character is changed. He becomes disillusioned with the Jedi cause, wallows in his failure and runs off in shame. All because of Snoke.
duck
Padawan
Padawan

Re: Luke in the Last Jedi

Postby blakeh1 » April 17th, 2018, 3:23 pm

makes sense to me
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ramsayman » April 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm

That works. In the novels (which are no longer canon) it's shown that different Jedi are talented in different ways. While they are all trained to use a lightsaber and have certain abilities that go across all of them, some could do things others could not. So Corran Horn couldn't lift things with his mind, but he could strongly push force illusions on others so they "saw" what he wanted them to see. The idea that Snoke could do things that we haven't seen before on screen is not a stretch. And the "bridging of minds" suggests that he could manipulate a mind from a distance - so theory looks good to me.
Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Postby blakeh1 » May 1st, 2018, 1:31 am

DELETE ME

posted in wrong thread
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Return to General Discussion