Mon Cal Ships

Postby Halcyon083 » January 20th, 2016, 4:25 am

Would love any advice to help these:
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 4910 times

Look more like this:
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.91 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
By Grapthar's hammer... what a savings...
Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Re: Mon Cal Ships

Postby Unreality » January 20th, 2016, 6:09 am

Well, unless those are secretly 3 feet long, you won't be able to make them look like the studio models. The sheer size of the MC ships made it easier to get so many colors and panels in there. So, don't get hung up on the studio models (which is something I often feel like I do and then don't push forward with the project). :)

That being said, you can still layer different colors on there. And that is the key word: layer. You might notice that none of the MC ships really have a base color, but they have layers of different colored light grey panels. You could try creating several masks out of tamiya tape in various geometric shapes, and use those to airbrush dozens of shapes or varying colors.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby Halcyon083 » January 20th, 2016, 2:22 pm

Thanks, I've been thinking about masking smaller panels and turning down the psi on my Airbush for a more faded look.
Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby dano985 » January 20th, 2016, 2:34 pm

You can also really thin down your base color and spay over everything with (LIGHT) cotes and it will fade your paneling.
dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby blakeh1 » January 20th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Another option when painting them is to lighten/tone down the initial color instead of it being so saturated. i.e. pick a light tonal base color and make sure it is mixed in with all the colors you use on it.

You might even try taking some white/light grey pastel and lightly go over the ones pictured. I believe it will help even out the contrast and I think help make it look like a bigger ship shrunk down. Plus if it doesn't look good, you just wash it off.

I think you did a great job capturing the look of the mon calamari paint scheme, it's just a bit to "saturated/contrasted" color wise compared to the studio models
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Halcyon083 » January 20th, 2016, 6:17 pm

blakeh1 wrote:Another option when painting them is to lighten/tone down the initial color instead of it being so saturated. i.e. pick a light tonal base color and make sure it is mixed in with all the colors you use on it.

You might even try taking some white/light grey pastel and lightly go over the ones pictured. I believe it will help even out the contrast and I think help make it look like a bigger ship shrunk down. Plus if it doesn't look good, you just wash it off.

I think you did a great job capturing the look of the mon calamari paint scheme, it's just a bit to "saturated/contrasted" color wise compared to the studio models

Thanks! I've got some pastels, I'll give it a shot today and see how it works.
Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby Halcyon083 » January 22nd, 2016, 3:57 am

Took your advice, choose a different shade of orange and then did some shading with Tamiya weathering powder. I'm liking it so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg (158.78 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby srspicer » January 16th, 2018, 3:02 am

In that scale, I would use the same technique I used on my MC 80 kit.

I used 350 scale photo etch to create the various squares of color. I used different railings to create a small grids. If you can make sharper the shapes, it will help the over-all look. Something as small as window screen would work.
Visit my website [*]www.srsprototyping.com[*]
srspicer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby nicholassagan » January 23rd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Yeah dude +1 on the pastels. They knock colors together nicely.
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Return to Critique Corner