X-Wings

X-Wings

Postby blakeh1 » January 15th, 2016, 12:57 am

I've seen some really amazing paint jobs on X-wings. Trying to emulate those I always feel like I struggle.
I started out using acrylic washes and pastels. On later models I tried oils and pastels, plus some pigments and weathering powders. Still though, I feel like I'm not quite getting there in achieving that ILM look instead either getting a too faded look, or a model that just looks dirty more in a sloppy rather than a uniform worn look

Fine Molds 1/72. This was the first one I did

Bandai 1/72 (yes, I know the base needs to be finished. I am waiting until I can get more )

And here is 1 1/48 FIne Molds one painted as Red 3
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: X-Wings

Postby Unreality » January 15th, 2016, 6:04 am

Well, here's my 4 cents for what it's worth.

I think you did a great job for the scale. Considering how big the screen models were, weathering something at 1/72 is kinda hard. I LOVE how you looked at where the panels were and weathered them accordingly (I'm referring to the nose area). I think making the individual panels stand out makes the model look bigger than it actually is.

In my opinion, I really like using the enamel or oil weathering products, since they are easier to control. You can do some great streaking with oils. You can also try hitting the edges of panels with darker or lighter oils to create delineation between the panels. The Tank Art books are great for showing how oil rendering can bring out the panels and make the model look much larger.

The key is to work in small areas and layer the effects.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby blakeh1 » January 15th, 2016, 6:28 pm

That guys weathering is pretty amazing. I was looking at some of his stuff recently

What weathering products would you recommend?

I've been eyeing some of the Vallejo pigments, as well as the MIG stuff, but I'm note sure
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Unreality » January 15th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Well, depending on where you are, you'll have different options.

I have pics and basic info on my weathering page. But I need to make more information, as it could use more walk-throughs.

Essentially, I love the Mig Ammo and/or AK Interactive brands. They used to be one company, but split, which is why a lot of their products are the same. But each one has done their own stuff since the split. Mig Ammo has some great washes and filters. AK has since released thicker enamel "deposits" for replicating rust and dirt.

I have a lot of these, but don't use them all on every model. A good dark brown/black (like Engine Grime) is nice for washes and creating grimy areas. I also use Dust Effects and Salt Streaks (the white one) a lot for creating light streaks or highlights along panel lines.

Of course, you can do the same thing with oil paints. I love Starship Filth by Mig Productions (an older company from the same guy doing Mig Ammo now). They have a line of 502 Abteilung oils that are fantastic. The Starship Filth is my preferred color, but I also have UN White for highlights, and shadow brown for softer shadows.

All of these are best used thinned down a little. Even putting a little thinner (I use odorless mineral spirits) on the model first can help soften the appearance. If you thin them down A LOT, you can make filters, which create subtle tonal shifts in the paint. I like this for doing panels (just a slight shift in color can make a panel stand out without airbrushing a different color on it).

The downside is that if you slosh enamels on Bandai models, the plastic can cracks and fall apart. Some people say oils can do the same thing, but I haven't had that happen yet.

Also, Adam Wilder has a 14+ part series on youtube on his KV-1 model, which demonstrates all kinds of weathering techniques. If you have the money, I highly recommend Miniature Mentor's video download on Rick Lawler's S-65 tractor. He walks you through construction, painting, and weathering. It really is the best weathering/painting video I've ever seen, but the download is like $25 (it is over 6 hours).
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby Unreality » January 15th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Best thing to do is just get some products and go for it. Pretty soon you'll keep advancing your own style into what you want.
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby nicholassagan » January 16th, 2016, 3:55 pm

I agree on the weathering. The chipping and tonal variations are pretty studio close, too. MiG products are really nice, pigments, etc. I've been using Tamiya pigments along with their sponge brushes and those are really good for nice even smudges and heat weathering, etc. AK makes some really good stuff, too. I'm a fan of their washes and effects in general (rust, mud, etc) both those probably apply less to the X-Wing. Although, the naval weathering sets are good....

My beef is that it's hard to see all your hard work with such busy backgrounds in the pics. Direct sunlight is always really nice, but isolating will show off the build better.
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby blakeh1 » January 18th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Yeah, I really should stop being lazy and pull out a background or my lighting booth when taking pictures

No one needs to see my carpet fuzz, or pool cover etc... :lol:
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby nicholassagan » January 19th, 2016, 6:12 pm

blakeh1 wrote:No one needs to see my pool cover etc... :lol:

Only if we can come over, take it off, and go swimming :)
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Return to Critique Corner