1/72 Revell ARC-170 WiP

for critique on all works in progress models

Re: 1/72 Revell ARC-170 WiP

Postby Solander » August 12th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Ukkista wrote:Hi Solander,
Wonderful craftsmanship and great hands!
Simply loving the cockpit and aged paintwork!
Bravo :)

Thanks a lot, Ukkista!

darth_daniel wrote:Nice work, the lighting is awesome. I built one of these back in 2005 but recently bought another one to 'do it right'. Actually I look forward to scratchbuilding the cockpit myself, but pictures of the aftermarket kit will serve as inspiration and reference.
I´m eager to see yours finished - maybe this pushes my kit further up in the build queue.
Are the wings glued in place?

Regarding the scale, it´s huge for a 1/72 SW fighter - put it next to an X- or Y-Wing and it looks strange. I just measured my old, not so nicely painted model and when comparing its dimensions to the wookiepedia numbers it´s 1/64 when calculating with the fuselage length without rear guns or 1/59 when calculating with wingspan.

Thank You!

Yeah, the scale is still a bit messy even with this aftermarket used. The droid I've utilized to fill the socket is exactly 1/72, but comparing with the shots from the movie it is to small in comparison to the width of the fuselage. So just like You said - it is somewhere around 1/65 or so...
Still have some plans for later using it along with some other 1/72 kits though. Guess it will do after all more or less.

The wings are moving. They are in open position in all of the previous shots because of my working sequence - I'm always painting it with the wings closed first and the with the wings opened (and always like that not toforget to open them) in order not to allow leaving any areas unpainted in any of the s-foils positions.

So here is a short new update:
- I've applied the decals and then sealed them with some Future
- and then I've hand-painted some of the wear over the hull

Solander
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Helix6187 » August 14th, 2017, 6:34 pm

That's a shiny baby !
Helix6187
Padawan
Padawan

Postby blakeh1 » August 16th, 2017, 2:08 am

Looking good
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Solander » September 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Thank you, gentlemen :)
And, well, it's not that shiny anymore, allthough I haven't got to the point of applying matt lequer layers yet.
So far it met some post-shading via an airbrush followed by a MiG neutral wash overally with a couple of touches with the dark wash here and there where it well belonged.

Hope my next update to be sooner then this one, and have my fingers crossed I'm close to finish here.
Solander
Youngling
Youngling

Postby blakeh1 » September 27th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Wow, that weathering is turning out nice. looking spot on
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Solander » October 4th, 2017, 10:14 am

Thanks mate!

Almost done here - likely the next post will be in the "Finished works" section already :)

With the pre-final layer of finishing matt lequer applied, it's only left to take care of some crappy spots occurred after taking off the painting masks with some washes and dry pigments to call this complete.

Solander
Youngling
Youngling

Postby blakeh1 » October 4th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Wow. Makes me want to repaint mine
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Solander » October 6th, 2017, 7:46 am

It was a real pleasure to paint I have to tell You. Makes me want to repaint mine just to repeat the experience already too, lol :)
Solander
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Slave1 » October 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm

That turned out fantastic! Great work with the extra panel lines on the nose. That makes a big difference. The paint job is something to be proud of as well.
Slave1
Youngling
Youngling

Postby dano985 » October 12th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Amazing paint job!
dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Previous

Return to W.I.P. Work In Progress