First model ever.. Bandai AT-ST with fiber optic interior.

for critique on all works in progress models

Re: First model ever.. Bandai AT-ST with fiber optic interio

Postby throwcomputer » February 25th, 2018, 5:01 am

Thanks! Your work is amazing and definitely got me to go from passive observer for years to actually trying this hobby. BTW I absolutely love your shrike model and all the custom mods you make to kits. Impressive.

Unreality wrote:Sweet job. I was hoping someone would do one with lights. And thank you for the nod to my website.

You're doing fantastic work...very ambitious for a first model. Now just finish it. :)
throwcomputer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Unreality » February 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Thank you!
Rebel Scale: my modeling website
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby throwcomputer » March 2nd, 2018, 3:14 am

Cockpit weathering update. Tried my hand at a wash for first time. Didn't go so well, kinda became a mess as I applied a gloss clear coat a couple days ago and it seemed to be relatively smooth but not great. Then applied wash today with acrylic thinner and acrylic rust and wash colors from vallejo. I also used paper towel dampened with thinner to wipe away. I think that didn't work out so well as it seemed to eat away the gloss coat underneath causing gooping. Also left some fuzz on the surfaces.

Either way, finished it, and applied another clear coat with mostly matte, but a couple drops of gloss mixed 50:50 with flow improver. This one seems to be not very smooth at all, lots of dimples (granted, its only about 2 hrs old, so it may smooth out once its fully cured and dry).

Not happy with the clear coating or the wash, but hey.. first time for everything. I wasn't very detailed in the application of them because I felt like I wasn't able to control it very well, so I just said screw it and put it on without being precise. I felt much more in control when airbrushing the colors for the first time.

Also started drilling holes in the back wall for FO. using .5mm strands. I think the question is how many FO strands I'll get to install in the cockpit because of how small the smd leds I'm using. Not sure how many strands will come together to cover the face of the LED and be lit. Trying for 16 strands total of white and blinking Red.
Last edited by throwcomputer on March 3rd, 2018, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
throwcomputer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Unreality » March 3rd, 2018, 8:06 am

Last set of pictures don't seem to be working. :cry:
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby throwcomputer » March 3rd, 2018, 8:53 am

Fixed!

Unreality wrote:Last set of pictures don't seem to be working. :cry:
throwcomputer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby throwcomputer » March 4th, 2018, 3:48 am

Prepping fiber optics for install.

Created two bundles of strands, one for white and one for blinking red

Used some thick books to elevate the smd led and fiber bundles off the table surface and hold them in place fiber placed touching the surface of the smd led, so that I could apply a drop of gorilla glue and let it set overnight.

I'll leave this bundle for 24 hrs to set, and do the other bundle tomorrow. Then start drilling the hole for the led that will be used as ambient cockpit light into the front panel and install that.
throwcomputer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Unreality » March 4th, 2018, 6:04 am

Nice work. Just using basic Gorilla glue? I've never tried that. Everyone recommends hot glue, but I find I prefer using 5-10 minute epoxy clear. But I had never thought of Gorilla Glue for them.

And well done on the interior. I think the middle 3 pics still aren't working for me...not sure if it's just me or everyone.

I hate that the clear coat messed up. What brand was it? I've never had issues like that before, but I rarely if ever use a gloss coat. Still, you've achieved the biggest feat of any modeler, make the mistakes work for you. I think that's the biggest issue I've had in the past year...just can't seem to deal with those little "oops" moments.

Great job, again!
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby throwcomputer » March 8th, 2018, 6:53 am

Unreality wrote:Nice work. Just using basic Gorilla glue? I've never tried that. Everyone recommends hot glue, but I find I prefer using 5-10 minute epoxy clear. But I had never thought of Gorilla Glue for them.

And well done on the interior. I think the middle 3 pics still aren't working for me...not sure if it's just me or everyone.

I hate that the clear coat messed up. What brand was it? I've never had issues like that before, but I rarely if ever use a gloss coat. Still, you've achieved the biggest feat of any modeler, make the mistakes work for you. I think that's the biggest issue I've had in the past year...just can't seem to deal with those little "oops" moments.

Great job, again!

Well, sorry, not original gorilla glue.. that stuff is expanding foam. I used Gorilla Glue's version of super glue. super glue gel. After 48 hrs of curing, they are stuck together pretty solid. I wouldn't try breaking it apart, but its strong enough for casual handling.

Busy time at work.. so I haven't touched this stuff since the last update. Probably won't get a chance to get back to it till April.
throwcomputer
Youngling
Youngling

Postby srspicer » April 9th, 2018, 4:08 am

Looking good!
Visit my website [*]www.srsprototyping.com[*]
srspicer
Youngling
Youngling

Previous

Return to W.I.P. Work In Progress