Wrecked AT-ST Hoth Diorama

for critique on all works in progress models

Wrecked AT-ST Hoth Diorama

Postby Unreality » January 14th, 2016, 7:39 pm

So, this is what I've been working on lately. I haven't started the diorama yet, but I hope to soon. This is a combination of the Bandai AT-ST and JPG's 1/48 Golan Arms DF.9 turret to create a crashed walker diorama on Hoth. Build log is here as well.

The first steps were building the kit, and modifying certain areas to look battle-damaged. I bent and broke a lot of pieces, adding scoring and blaster holes, added a kill-shot under the left blaster turret, and cut/bent several hoses. Using Jaitea's information, I created the upper pivot points on the legs (near the hull). I used styrene tubes, and filled the cavities with Apoxie Sculpt. This created some resistance and allowed me to glue them in place with CA.

JPG Castings makes an excellent 1/48 Rebel Turret (aka the Golan Arms DF.9). However, the body and upper turret are solid pieces of resin. Because I'm a little crazy, I wanted to open the turret to show off inside. Thus, I had to use a drill and Dremel to router the interior out. I probably took out about 75% of the resin (and weight). This was done outside with a mask to prevent breathing the 2 tons of dust.

I also drilled out the turret hatch, carefully routering around the edges to create the hatch lip. Using sheet styrene, I wrapped the interior to create a smooth inside. I then held a piece of sheet styrene over a candle and warped it to create the curved door. Finally, I added details to the turret, such as the hatch handles, door handles, ladder, power generators, etc.

Because there are no interior shots of this, I had to make up what it looked like. So, I placed two small generators on opposite sides of the door (making a triangle), which allowed plenty of room for the gunner to climb the ladder to the upper hatch. Additionally, I added small power lines, broken supports, and a kill-shot to the far side.

More turret detail, such as the outer door and outer hatch handle. Again, the upper hatch is the original resin part, which I routered out and glued details onto.

Here's the final detail on the AT-ST. I've added some support rods where the head attaches and a small covering for the feet where the stand would attach.

A close-up of the head. You can see the window hatches, one is barely hanging on. I used a photo-etch tool clamp from a 1/35 German tank to create the hatch handle.

On the back, you can see the open cover access panel with wires hanging out, directly above the fan intake. I also created an open cover for the side access panel.

For the power cables, I took Apoxie Sculpt and rolled out thing pieces. I rolled these slightly on some bamboo place-mats that created a slight texture, not perfect, but will work.

Here is a custom power generator I built along with the power cable that fits into it.

Finally, here are all the parts ready to be primed (lots of small bits as well).

Hopefully, I'll get another good update soon.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Re: Wrecked AT-ST Hoth Diorama

Postby nicholassagan » January 14th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Goddamn brilliant.
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby dano985 » January 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

DAMN!!! Love the turret interior!
dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stefan Hacker » January 14th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Wow what lovely work! Love it so far! Great idea!
Stefan Hacker
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Unreality » January 14th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Thank you all for the comments. As a response to Nick's recent topic, I would be happy for any and all constructive feedback. Note, that I probably won't be adding more on this model except paint, but any suggestions I will definitely consider for future "wrecks".
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby nicholassagan » January 14th, 2016, 10:04 pm

:)

You've already added a bit more detail, which is VERY cool, but more torn wires on broken joints and sockets would sell the wreck even more. Especially that neck area... Having the panels popping open with those copper wires dangling out is nice. :P

I guess it also depends on how long after the initial wreck this is...how weathered and worn will it be?
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Unreality » January 14th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Thanks. I definitely have some little pieces of wires and such that will be in the snow. I may add more to sell the explosion. I'm thinking this scene would take place only a few days to a few weeks after the Battle of Hoth. So, there would be some snow build-up, but not enough to obscure the wreckage.
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby blakeh1 » January 15th, 2016, 1:46 am

The attention to detail and being able to see in a lot of the interior/open spaces is really cool. All the little added detail really makes a huge difference

It's hard to tell how it looks yet since it just the individual parts.I think the hardest part is going to to be getting a convincing pose on the downed AT-ST and integrating it with the environment without it looking like just some parts put down on the ground.

it's almost like you would have to approach it as building the terrain first, then integrate your models into the terrain as opposed to placing the models, then building the terrain around it

Stefan did a great job of that with the Star Destroyer on Jakku diorama.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Any ideas on what to use for the snow?
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby darth_daniel » January 16th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Someone has to say it: This dio will look completely wrong! You´d have to use an ESB AT-ST for a Hoth scene. :mrgreen:

Now seriously, awesome job so far. The turret interior is great. One thing you should consider adding to the AT-ST though is some sort of soles to the feet. It seems strange it would have flat soles without any profile. The big fallen AT-AT model could give you some inspiration; maybe just some structured sheet styrene would do.
darth_daniel
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Unreality » January 16th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Yeah, I'm planning on boycotting Bandai for not releasing the ESB version. :mrgreen:

I like the thought about the foot pads. I may try something like that before I prime.

Snow will be Woodland Scenics snow. I got a big bottle of it for $10, and it's the best you can get the States. I've used Baking Soda before, but it yellows.
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Next

Return to W.I.P. Work In Progress