XJ X-wing

for critique on all works in progress 3D models

XJ X-wing

Postby Justicar » October 14th, 2013, 6:39 am

Hi All,

A member convinced me to post this.

Commentary first. A friend wants to make some small-scale snubfighters for use in Fantasy Flight's X-wing miniatures game... 1/270 stuff. He wants to do odd stuff... concept art, new/fan designs, stuff like that. I'm giving him a hand.

The XJ X-wing is the next generation X-wing. In the novel (Vector Prime...?) it's described as basically looking the same, except it has a 3rd torpedo tube and it's 1.5m longer. Personally, I think that's kind of boring. I tried to look at it more the way you would a car. Compare a 1965 Mustang to a 2013 Mustang. You can see the design lineage, but they're clearly different vehicles.

I really liked McQuarrie's concept X-wing, especially the fuselage. Then Richard from Sovereign Replicas made a resin kit of it. It looks great, but I found that I like the overall effect less (that's not a knock on REL. He did fantastic work and I absolutely believe it's the truest vision of McQuarrie's original design). Then I saw what Alfred did in putting F-16 intakes onto an X-wing to make his version of an XJ (he's subsequently made a new version that's much closer to a standard X-wing. It looks great, but I would consider it more of an X-wing than an XJ. I honestly don't know if the pics on Wookiepedia are canon or not, but I digress.)

Anyway, I figured I could take McQuarrie's concept fuselage with Alfred's F-16 intakes and I thought they'd fit nice. They both have that smooth, rounded look that seems to go well together, and is frequently used in next-gen designs. I left it with stock X-wing S-foils, though I did pilfer Richard's laser cannons.

The last pic is a size comparison between my XJ and a standard X-wing. My fuselage is 60% greater volume. It doesn't look like it, but it is. My engines/intakes are 50% greater volume than stock. Overall mine is 25% greater volume.

If you're looking close you'll see that my S-foil hinge is completely different. I never liked the idea of the huge gaping hole that it leaves in the standard version. Really they're just two wings, hinged like scissors in the center, with the engines/intakes on the wings. Mine actually has four separate wings. The engines/intakes are part of the fuselage. I assume slip-rings and rails for the S-foil mountings, with a lot more available space in the fuselage where the old hinge was.

Anyway, I apologize for the poor render quality. I'm not good at them, for one. For another, the final model is only 52mm long, so the detail shown is exaggerated (but will look nice on the physical model).

Justicar

Re: XJ X-wing

Postby Stefan Hacker » October 14th, 2013, 8:20 am

Very cool! I really ilke the mixed design between McQuarrie and Wong´s X-Wing. It also reminds me a lot of the two seater X-Wing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-wing_%28tandem%29
It´s also a little bit bigger than the standard X-Wing.
Stefan Hacker
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Halcyon083 » October 14th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Cool, Love the shots with the old X-Wing to compare to. Said it before, will say it again... this design really works!
By Grapthar's hammer... what a savings...
Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Postby nicholassagan » October 14th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Nice blend of elements!!!! Also nice to see in-line pics of it, eh?? :P
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Justicar » October 14th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Thanks guys. I know it's not original, but I like it. I like that Recon X. Might have to do it. Maybe make it a Strike version...
Justicar

Postby Ryan » October 15th, 2013, 4:14 am

Will this be available for general consumption via shapeways or some such? Great work!
Ryan
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Justicar » October 15th, 2013, 4:20 am

I have a 3D-printer that should be able to print higher resolution than Shapeways. They'll be available... eventually. My friend has about a dozen snubs that he wants finished before releasing anything.
Justicar

Postby Ryan » October 15th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Cool man, I'm in!
Ryan
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Ramsayman » October 16th, 2013, 3:20 am

That's pretty cool man! What scale are you intending to print this in? I'm a slave to 1/72 myself.

On another note: Just googling different X-Wings I came across this: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... THX%22.jpg I think it's an awesome design! I would love to see it also made into a kit.
Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Justicar » October 16th, 2013, 7:44 am

I'm actually not real fond of that one. I wouldn't do it unless I was actively selling minis and there was a LOT of demand.

I do small stuff... 1/270. Meant for gaming. To do it justice in 1/72 requires skills that I don't have. I could try partnering with someone else.
Justicar

Next

Return to CG W.I.P - Work In Progress