Model kit detailing

Post your questions here. Make sure you include all necessary information.
Only1CanThereBe

Model kit detailing

Post by Only1CanThereBe » March 29th, 2016, 5:11 am

Hey everyone, I'm pretty green to building kits,about a year in to what is going to be a bad addiction lol. Anyway I just started working on the star destroyer 1/4222 scale kit. As most probably know the detail is shit. I see a lot of people use resin upgrade kits but they run about $85 in the US and I just can't make myself spend that. But I probably will end up doing so. First I was wondering if anyone has tried using a 3D printing pen to add extra detailing? I got one for xmas and have only fooled with it a couple of times but this seems like something it might be useful for. Thanks for your time everyone!

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Model kit detailing

Post by blakeh1 » March 29th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Welcome!

I've never actually tried one, but it sounds like it might be possible. I'd be interested to see its capabilities

I've been working on the MPC/AMT/ERTL for a while the old fashioned way, with little bits of styrene and left over kit parts. IT's slow going though so anything to help speed up the progress would be nice

For example, the bit on the bottom tier at the back near the neck is the door flap of the Fine Molds 1/72 X-wing landing gear bay
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » March 29th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Damn! Looking good!

Only1CanThereBe

Post by Only1CanThereBe » March 29th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for the pics by the way. Great inspiration

Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Halcyon083 » March 30th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Yeah, a little styrene and a lot of time goes a long ways. Nick also has a shapeways account with some upgrades for this kit, I have the guns and they are worth it.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cosmosmodels
By Grapthar's hammer... what a savings...

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » March 30th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Oh yeah! Thanks! Yup. Some 3D stuff in there. I still have parts in the works to make a full "head" upgrade set (domes, tower + head/face).

Only1CanThereBe

Post by Only1CanThereBe » April 2nd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Ok so since I'm new to this don't hate me if I ask a lot of dumb questions lol. I'm trying to drill holes on the 1/4222 star destroyer. First question is is there a specific place to drill out?
Second, is there a right way to make square and rectangle Windows ?

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » April 4th, 2016, 2:44 pm

I'm not sure how to make square windows at that scale.

I just used something like a #80 drill and fiber optics
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » April 4th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Yeah square holes at that scale are basically impossible. Although you can get jewelers files to get 90° corners, but they aren't really suited to windows smaller than 1/1000 or even 1/1400 scale.

Only1CanThereBe

Post by Only1CanThereBe » April 7th, 2016, 1:11 am

Oh ok. #80 bit is what I've been using, well that is if I haven't broken it. Does anybody have pics of a shuttle bay on the side trenches ? And thanks for all the help by the way.