Vaseline chipping

Post your How to's here and let others learn from you
Aigore
Padawan
Padawan

Vaseline chipping

Post by Aigore » March 31st, 2013, 1:51 pm

A wee titorial on vaseline chipping

I started by shooting the entire model in a dark grey mix I made from humbrol colors. For some reason I thought that it was better to do a primer/preshade with a enamel rather than the acrylic Lifecolor I use for painting.
It could just be an unfounded worry in that acryllics doesn´t stick to plastic but needs a medium inbetween. I usually use aclad primers to prime my kits but I thoguth it would be too much paint layers on this delicate model
if I first primed with alclad and then preshaded with darkgrey and then shot the colors.

Well it´s primed anyways :D/>

Then I thought of chipping, I´ve previously used the salt chipping method on the SnowSpeeder last year but I really thoguth the chips were too large. So for the X-wing I´m trying out vaseline chipping!

I cut out a piece of a dish spunge and dipped the sctos brite end in vaseline....

...Then dotted it about the surface of the X-wing....like so.

I then begun painting, I´ve mixed light grey with white to get a really light grey :P/> I shot it in the center of the panels and such.

Then I dusted thin layers all over the surface so I got just enough shine through from the preshade...

When the paint was dry to the touch I used a piece of cloth to rub off the vaseline from the surface.

I think this worked spectaculary well! The cipping was really tiny in places and looks nice and not over done!

The guns...

And the air...um spaceframe

There ya go! :D/>

Cheers!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Vaseline chipping

Post by nicholassagan » March 31st, 2013, 4:10 pm

VASELINE!!! Oh good idea!!! You could do this with a silver undercoat, too...I think I'll be trying this soon...thanks!!!

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » March 31st, 2013, 5:09 pm

Great, I use Maskol but Vaseline is cheaper! :)

Rogueknight
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Rogueknight » April 1st, 2013, 4:13 am

I have seen this done with rubber cement which just "rubs" off... would't vasaline leave a oily resadue? Whenever I have used vasaline in the past its always been a bitch to clean up.

AND NO I wasn't using it for that....

I ran and trained in dry conditions and was prone to nose bleeds if you must know...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

Aigore
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Aigore » April 1st, 2013, 9:25 pm

Rogueknight wrote:I have seen this done with rubber cement which just "rubs" off... would't vasaline leave a oily resadue? Whenever I have used vasaline in the past its always been a bitch to clean up.

AND NO I wasn't using it for that....

I ran and trained in dry conditions and was prone to nose bleeds if you must know...
LOL

Well after I wiped the vaseline away with a cloth it could be a bit oily iin patches but the "oiliness" disapeared over night. It didn´t impact on the paint job in any way.

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » April 10th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks for posting this. I will have to give this a try
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

Stu Pidasso
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Stu Pidasso » June 10th, 2013, 6:31 am

Rogueknight wrote:

Uh HUH... Chasing that white rabbit... :mrgreen:
Rogueknight wrote:Figured I had to post to keep Stu moist....

DJSLY
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DJSLY » June 11th, 2014, 11:31 pm

I tried another method of aging on my X-wing 1/48 FM, here are the steps:

- Primer undercoat
- A layer of dark gray acrylic
- 3 layers of hair spray (wait 20 minutes between layers ) yes yes hair spray, for my test I stole the hair spray of my wife's ;)
- The final layer of gray kit
- With a brush and cure tooth hardened in water, realized aging your paint you wish

Here are some pictures

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » June 11th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Hairspray method looks good...and as far as I know, more controllable than the vaseline. Nice!
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

DJSLY
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DJSLY » June 13th, 2014, 2:09 am

Here is a explanatory video with which I learned this method, sorry it's in French :oops: , but it allows you to see the different stages.

http://kws.figurines-tv.com/index.php?m ... res&id=213