Another Studio Scale TIE Bomber

put your work in progress photos here
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Another Studio Scale TIE Bomber

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 6:02 pm

I wrapped up a few things for Wonderfest early and had some extra time and building energy. This project has been on my mind for a while now so it was time to dig in. Not only will I have it done for WF, I’ll be entering it in 2 other online contests as well!!

In this first stage all the parts were scrubbed and then carefully trimmed and sanded to remove and little bits and pieces of stuff. Thankfully there was a minimum of cleanup (but there are just sooo many parts!) This is a beautifully mastered and produced kit…really makes me feel like a studio modeler!! Some extra additions to my build include a cockpit sourced from the AMT TIE Fighter kit, a scratch built “behind the glass” panel thing, a Polar Lights dome stand and “full” compliment of lights.

More posts will be coming throughout the day because I really burned through the progress on this bad boy over the past couple days. I mean...I'll be priming tonight!!!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Another Studio Scale TIE Bomber

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Assembly progress! Cockpit done, all the major pieces and the wing details! I made ONE not so major mistake and mounted the center block the tall way instead of the long way so a little bit of extra scratch building was needed to fill out the space. The main support beam was routed along the backside to make a path for the wiring and a small block was cut out to accommodate the cockpit. The engine caps were also drilled out for the LEDs. There was one spot on the bottom edge of one wing that was a little thin and needed some culling…but I think if I keep it on the bottom it’ll be fine.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » May 27th, 2014, 8:45 pm

You are ZOOMING along with this!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Electronics!!! So I ran an overnight test of battery life and found that with 8 red LEDs the batteries drained in about 8 hours. I also realized that I didn’t need FOUR in the cockpit so I just used one as a floodlight on the ceiling. The power should stay brighter longer now. The holes for the engine LED leads also had the potential to create a short so I put some plastic splints in there to make sure there’s no accidental contact. The AAA battery box will also be accessible via the pilot pod engine cap, held in place via magnets. The drill went a little overboard so a touch of putty was needed on the back end.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Whoops! Forgot a post in there. :P

More assembly progress. You can see I added some extra detailing around the center block using extra parts from the kit. I LOVE THIS KIT!!!!

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » May 27th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Siiiick

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Where was I? Oh yeah. Now comes the time for some extra detailing. Something about the spirit of studio scale building hit me and I added some bits and pieces to the exterior (including some leftover Fine Molds X-Wing parts!!). The interior cockpit panel was also a combination of scratch parts and a modified AMT TIE Interceptor panel. Looks about right. :D

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 27th, 2014, 11:30 pm

And lastly for today:

Some of the last touches before priming: wing panels painted and masked and the dome stand installed. The model-side socket is glued in place and makes a decent extra detail. The dome base is painted with Light Gunmetal and got a heavy clear coat. She looks pretty good so far!!

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » May 28th, 2014, 2:35 am

Damn, man - she is looking GOOD...and you are FLYING on this one!
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 28th, 2014, 2:47 am

She's got primer on right now, too. :D