Another Studio Scale TIE Bomber

put your work in progress photos here
Stu Pidasso
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Another Studio Scale TIE Bomber

Post by Stu Pidasso » May 28th, 2014, 4:04 am

dano985 wrote:You are ZOOMING along with this!

At the risk of sounding biased, this kit literally falls together. It shouldn't take you more than a weekend to put it together, if you follow the directions. Looking at you, nick...

Weili did a hell of a great job mastering this.
Rogueknight wrote:Figured I had to post to keep Stu moist....

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 28th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Seriously a shake-n-bake....but more importantly.....

PAAAAAAAAAINT!!!!!!!! Well, before that happened I had to clean up the engine cap and add the canopy cowling.

Then mask the cockpit and engine LEDs.

THEN prime.

THEN preshade.

The painting process was a bit of fun. It’s the first time I’ve ever decanted a rattle can, thinned down and used through my airbrush (I used Tamiya’s Haze Gray of course). I now see the appeal of spraying enamels with an airbrush. It goes down thin and like butter. So clean and even….

But hark! While the Haze Gray has the cool blue tone we all love on the Bomber, it was too dark for my taste. I went over and highlighted each panel with a light spraying of Tamiya’s Sky Gray (XF-19). It was thin to not cover up too much of the Haze Gray. The overall effect I think is a perfect blend because that blue undertone is still there AND it shows off the pre- and post-shading nicely. This one will barely need any weathering!! ((sorry if the coloration isn’t clear enough in this pics, I was rushed this morning and didn’t want to setup the photo booth))

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » May 28th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Nice work Nick, glad you got her done in time ;)

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 28th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Not done yet!!! I'm going to add glazing to the canopy frame, do a little bit of weathering (just a LITTLE!!) AND apply some Verlinden dry transfer dashes and stencils :P

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » May 28th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Man...that is one hot build right there. As far as XF-19, could you use it on it's own (without the Haze Gray undercoat)? Or would it not give the requisite "blue"?
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » May 28th, 2014, 7:52 pm

I don't think Haze Grey is right personally but it's a discussion topic that never ends lol. Tamiya's light grey is the nearest in my opinion....just doesn't have enough blue in it BUT you can look at the same model in so many different photos and they all look different. Haze grey is a good starting point for me though as I can lighten it up. So to answer your question....no I don't think you'd get the right blue.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm

You could use it, but I wanted that undertone. It's subtle but you notice it in person. The desk lighting doesn't do it justice! Hopefully I'll get the studio shots taken tomorrow. Or you could just see it in person Saturday. :D

I should also mention that the wings are NOT attached at this point and I'm on the fence about doing so. They are on tight enough to not swivel down while displayed...and it would make it slightly safer to transport it. I could also drop a drop of white glue in the joint pre-contest just to be sure...

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 28th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Testor's Light Ghost Gray has been a pretty good color for me on past builds. If applied right and when using the right shading/washing/weathering techniques it could be perfect. Haze is a good close, but needs love. TAMIYA'S Light Ghost Gray is really light blue more than gray. I used it right outta the can on my Interceptor build. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=769

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » May 29th, 2014, 6:33 am

Oh, by the by, I'm done. :D Here's a couple teasers until I get studio pics taken tomorrow. FYI the stand is now ball-joint-less. The repetitive on-and-off again cracked the socket so I chopped it off. It sits 1/2" lower on the stand but at least it's solid. Also note that the flat coat TONED DOWN THE COLOR BY A FEW HUES. Fuck-n-aye. Here I thought it was perfect.....and now it's too dark to me....

PWLMusic
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by PWLMusic » May 29th, 2014, 7:49 am

Stu Pidasso wrote:
dano985 wrote:You are ZOOMING along with this!

At the risk of sounding biased, this kit literally falls together. It shouldn't take you more than a weekend to put it together, if you follow the directions. Looking at you, nick...

Weili did a hell of a great job mastering this.
Damn that's looking hot as hell Nick.

Thanks Jimi, but the hard work's all yours. You literally made a CARBON COPY of the stuff I sent you.