Being accused of recasting really sucks.

Post, chat, or discuss topics related to Star Wars, modeling, 3D graphics, or something close to this.
Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Being accused of recasting really sucks.

Post by Del » March 24th, 2015, 3:53 am

For those who don't know already, I was accused of recasting today at another forum. :x Jimi (Stu Pidasso) was nice enough to give a call so we could chat about it. Thanks Jimi, that helped a lot, right when I needed it most. ;)

All I really want to say about this, is if you have a feeling that a kit is being recast, please do some research and contact the person directly if possible first. Posting a complete thread to ruin me was a horrible thing to experience. Lurkers who don't understand the full ramifications of what was being said, may in fact decide to NOT do business with me in the future because of it.

In the end, and after the facts were reviewed, I received a public apology, but I fear that damage may have already been done. I accepted the apology, and asked that the thread be locked. I have no hard feelings and do not carry a grudge. However, while recasters hurt this hobby, false accusations can ruin it. Please don't accuse anyone without some due diligence first. Thanks. I feel better now.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

halk
Youngling
Youngling

Re: Being accused of recasting really sucks.

Post by halk » March 24th, 2015, 11:21 am

Well, I will be buying more of your stuff.

I picked up a Tango One-Six from the bay of evil other day, and it looks great.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » March 24th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear that Del! Keyboard warriors do not seem to care about the impact of their callously spouted allegations....

You are a fantastic kit producer! And an ever better gentleman!
Last edited by dano985 on May 14th, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Halcyon083 » March 24th, 2015, 2:41 pm

You're one of the good guys Del! I'm really looking forward to the V-Wing and Howlrunner release, and if I ever get the money together a Sandcrawler as well.

I think everyone here knows your reputation, and will continue to support you.
By Grapthar's hammer... what a savings...

utar.ships
Padawan
Padawan

Post by utar.ships » March 24th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Dude, that really sucks! I hope the forum comments fade out of memory with no longer term effects. I haven't been accused recast but i have been attacked for creating SW related material. No fun but I am a firm believer in karma; since you are a fair guy it will be alright in the end.
"The resin must flow"

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » March 24th, 2015, 5:20 pm

What forum was that on? I would think everyone from here, and Starship Modeler at the very least should know that you legitimately own the masters and the right to release kits of them
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » March 24th, 2015, 6:21 pm

It was over at Starship Modeler in the Star Trek forums. The guy had put a lot of work in the 1/537 scale kit master that Federation Models sells, so I can understand the need to root out a potential thief of his work, but that just wasn't the case. I didn't recast anything, and my 3D modeler did not scan anything. Plus, I sell my Trek line of kits through Federation Models, so if I were in any way ripping him off, would he still sell my products?

The comparison photos are clear that the subject is the same (obviously), but the details are wildly different when you look close at the small stuff. Shapes are different on pods and pylons, and little details on the main hull piece don't match up.

I don't hold a grudge against the guy because I had to confront a recaster of my products last year, so I know how frustrating it can be. In my case I examined the photos carefully, contacted the guy through e-mails, and he removed the products from his website. None of this dragged out drama. If I had been contacted directly I could have saved a lot of the public humiliation.

So, as a result, I felt that I needed to post something here just in case lurkers had followed the thread but didn't understand what was going on. My integrity had been called into question, so I had to defend myself. I don't like the craziness that this sort of thing brings out in me, but I'm not going to roll over and take it either. He apologized, the thread is locked, and I have no hard feelings toward him.

Thanks for all of the support I see here! Recasting hurts the hobby, but false accusations hurt more. All I ask is that in the future folks do a little more research before publicly hanging someone.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » March 24th, 2015, 7:16 pm

ahh the Trek section :evil: (actually I just never go there since I don't model Trek stuff)

That sure sucks though.

I agree, they definitely should have tried contacting the involved parties first

Luckily I think you've built up such a good rep that this won't have any lasting effect
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Ramsayman » March 25th, 2015, 2:08 am

Halcyon083 wrote:You're one of the good guys Del! I'm really looking forward to the V-Wing and Howlrunner release, and if I ever get the money together a Sandcrawler as well.

I think everyone here knows your reputation, and will continue to support you.

Howlrunner? You're making a HOWLRUNNER! Awesome! I want it when it's out! And is the V-Wing the one from the prequels, or is it the original EU one?

Seriously, man, I've built some of your stuff - love the kits! I will keep supporting you as one of the masters!

Uwe Kaeding
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Uwe Kaeding » March 25th, 2015, 4:00 am

Sorry to hear about this Del - saw the thread over on SSM and I hope the guy has learnt a lesson about going through a proper process before shooting his mouth off (and in this case his foot too) publicly. Good to see you standing up to him. I see they finally locked the thread as well.

Anyway I've always found you great to work with and I've never seen anything negative written about you or your products on any forum, so I don't think you have too much to worry about - keep it up and get out those new SW kits soon!