Comprehensive SW Kit List WIP

Post, chat, or discuss topics related to Star Wars, modeling, 3D graphics, or something close to this.
blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Comprehensive SW Kit List WIP

Post by blakeh1 » July 16th, 2015, 5:57 pm

nicholassagan wrote:Manufacturer list:
1/57:
Revell: X-Wing Pocket Kit,
1/87 -
Revell: X-Wing Easy Kit, TIE Interceptor Easy Kit,
The 1/57 isn't the pocket kit, it is the standard easy kit (they really make everything difficult by calling them all "easy kits") :P

And the X-wing pocket kit is more like 1/110

Unfortunately it seems that various people/manufactures can't agree on scales for the same subjects simply because it depends on which source you use to determine the "real world size"

While Fine Molds for example is widely accepted as 1/72, many models are in fact way too small for 1/72 assuming the studio models were 1/24 so you wind up with a conudrum of having two models that actually look to be close to the same size wind up with wildly different scales. Or in cases like the Revell Tie Fighter, they list it as 1/57 on their web site, but it has a figure that is clearly in the 1/40 ish range. The 1/57 is acutally more accurate if scaling down from a 1/24 studio model, but the 1/41 is actually more accurate if scaling up from a "1/72" Fine Molds tie.

At any rate, it's enough to drive you nuts trying to figure out things, so I instead take this approach

If we accept that Fine Molds is the standard of measurement for 1/72 and they are accurately scaled, then upscaling/downscaling from there.

This leads to the following

Darth Vader's Tie pocket kit 1/79 (although based on 1 /24 scale for the studio scale model, it is more like 1/90).

Same with the Tie Interceptor is pretty much in the same boat about 1/79 (or 1/90 based on 1 1/24 studio model)

Darth Vader's Tie Easy Kit 1/32 (although it is a just hair smaller than the old AMT one which was accepted to be 1/36 I believe)

X-Wing Easy Kit (2013 large version) 1/30
X-Wing Easy Kit 1/57
X-Wing Easy Pocket Kit 1/110

Tie Fighter Easy Kit 1/41
Tie Fighter Pocket Kit 1/63

Y-Wing 1/72 (main difference is just in the length of the engines, everything else is pretty much the same size, so if go go on total length it is much different, but if you go on cockpit, fuselage, pilot and droid sizes it is "1/72")

Some others

Revell Pocket Kit Snowspeeder around 1/57 to 1/65 when scaled down from a 1/72 Retro Kit Snowspeeder. I'll have to get some more accurate measurements since I don't have them both in front of me

Revell Republic Gunship Clone Wars version 1/72 (or 1/74 according to Revell)

Revell Arc-170 Easy Kit - I'm guessing around 1/57 to 1/65 or so based on the pilot figures, but could even be closer to 1/68 for the ship. Revell says it is 1/48 on their website, but that just seems way too big. I think it is close enough to 1/72 rather than 1/48 to display it with my 1/72 stuff. Pilot figures are pretty close in size the the Eta Starfighters though, so it could be closer to 1/58 range

Revell Arc-170 Easy Pocket Kit - I can't confirm since I don't have it, but it is supposedly pretty darn close to 1/144

Revell AT-AT - depending on which AT-AT size you subscribe to it has been scaled anywhere between 1/53 to 1/72. I feel comfortable enough thinking of it as 1/72, although it is probably closest to 1/67 or so. It sizes nciely enough to display alongsider the Revell pocket Snowspeeder, the Diagostini die cast one, or the retro kit 1/72 version or any other vehicles in the 1/60 ish to 1/72 ish range

Revell Anakin and Obi-Wan Jedi Eta Starfighters. These are somewhere around 1/55 to 1/63 based on the figures. I'd have to get some more accurate measurements and compare them in size to the Studio Starforge 1/72 Eta Starfighters

I believe the regular Easy kits versions of these are pretty much considered to be close to 1/24, but I can't confirm since I don't have them

While not kits, these diecasts can be used to fill in some voids

The Titanium Collection Tri-fighter droid seems to be 1/72. The Eta Starfighter in the same set is just a bit smaller than the 1/72 Studio Starforge one. I'd say it's probably like 1/76 ish

The old Kenner twin cloud car is nearly the same size as the Retro SF 1/72 cloud car. The figures inside look spot on for 1/72, but the vehicle is a little bigger. Maybe more like 1/70

Diagostini Snow Speeder. Almost the identical in size to the RetroSF 1/72 one. It might be a little closer to 1/70 though
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

DocRaven
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DocRaven » July 16th, 2015, 11:38 pm

pleas make an second list with detail parts this will be a great help

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » July 16th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Ok :) Maybe.

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » July 16th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Wouldn't that be nearly impossible? Even more so than the kit list?
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » July 16th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Actually, I think there are more kits than "aftermarket" for SW kits

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » July 17th, 2015, 12:09 am

Comparison pictures would be nice too for kits

We should try to get this stickied if it is not already.

I wonder if this might benefit from its own section like the references section.

Have a thread for with a master "table of contents" that list the kits. That TOC could entry could link to a thread regarding the kit. In that thread, it could then have the details of things like after market parts etc...it could also have links to WIP or Finished model threads and maybe some reviews of the kit from various members

or one could dream if there was enough time to put it all together
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » July 17th, 2015, 12:14 am

I stickied it. But we'll need to make a whole new page I think to have a gridded layout...

utar.ships
Padawan
Padawan

Post by utar.ships » July 17th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I have started a new 1/7000 scale line because 1/4222 just wasn't small enough to annoy everyone :D
"The resin must flow"

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » July 18th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Nice work guys.

If you want, you can look at my list. I've only included kits I've owned and measured. I do use some of my own "estimated" sizes, so the scales may not match yours.

http://www.rebelscale.com/scale-lists/s ... odel-kits/
Rebel Scale: my modeling website

su27rules
Padawan
Padawan

Post by su27rules » July 20th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Nice work guys, tnx!!
You can never have enough Flankers!!