Star Wars books?

Post, chat, or discuss topics related to Star Wars, modeling, 3D graphics, or something close to this.
Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Star Wars books?

Post by Del » June 17th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I searched the site, but can't find any list of books. Now I realize that there are a few hundred published, but if anyone would like to post suggestions for EU individual books - or book series, I'd be grateful. You see, even though I have been, and will be, selling a few EU related kits, I've never read a Star Wars book. :oops:

Nope, not one. :cry:

I know this is akin to heresy, but I'd like to repent for my sins, so maybe someone could direct a guy to a few choices of some good reading? Oh, and I'm thinking more novels rather than comics.

Thanks!!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

johnwaljr
Padawan
Padawan

Re: Star Wars books?

Post by johnwaljr » June 18th, 2014, 12:24 am

Hi Del :D You might want to start off with shadows of the empire. It's a good read. It takes place between ESB and ROTJ and fills in some of the blanks ;) And after that You may want to get into the x-wing series of novels. :)

Uwe Kaeding
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Uwe Kaeding » June 18th, 2014, 1:14 am

If it helps, Tor Books are in the process of doing a reread of the EU novels, and they've got through quite a few so far - they give a basic overview of each novel's plot and some commentary. Website is http://www.tor.com/features/series/star-wars-on-torcom, scroll down until you get to the heading Expaded Universe Reread. I've only read the Heir to the Empire books basically because it was the only thing Star Wars available after ROTJ. However that was years ago and I remember not being overly impressed at the time so I never read any more.

senator52
Youngling
Youngling

Post by senator52 » June 18th, 2014, 1:59 am

Enjoyed the Rogue Squadron series. It's kind of two series in a series, but still good.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

johnwaljr
Padawan
Padawan

Post by johnwaljr » June 18th, 2014, 1:10 pm

hi del you also may want to read the courtship of princess leia if memory serves me right it takes place literally the day after ROTJ

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » June 18th, 2014, 3:38 pm

You know johnwaljr, I thought you had said Splinter of the Minds Eye, so I just ignored that because I don't care for Alan Dean Foster's work. Now I come back here and see that you mentioned Shadows of the Empire. :x I should have paid more attention. I guess I need to place another order for Shadows.

I had thought about the Rogue Squadron series, but those books are crazy expensive, so I settled on the Thrawn trilogy. I'll check the Rogue Squadron books again. Maybe I missed something, but $40 each seemed a bit high for me to pay for a paperback - I'd rather buy a model for that price. I'll definitely pick up Shadows of the Empire now as well.

Thanks everyone! These ideas are getting me started.

EDIT - Now I see that there are 2 versions of Shadows of the Empire. Any author preference by you folks - Steve Perry or Christopher Golden? Perry's is supposed to be an adult version, and Golden's is supposedly written for the kid's market. I'm leaning toward Perry's, but just because it's written for adults, doesn't mean that it's better.
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

senator52
Youngling
Youngling

Post by senator52 » June 18th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Don't know where you were looking for the Rogue Squadron books but I'm pretty sure I got the entire series (10 books if I remember correctly) for about $15 on my Kindle...

Rogueknight
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Rogueknight » June 18th, 2014, 7:17 pm

What is the "OFFICIAL" 411 on the EU with the movies coming out? I've heard everything to date is going to be non-cannon from now on... yet I also heard that they are still honoring the EU and its still cannon. Is there a official statement?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » June 18th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Rogueknight wrote:What is the "OFFICIAL" 411 on the EU with the movies coming out? I've heard everything to date is going to be non-cannon from now on... yet I also heard that they are still honoring the EU and its still cannon. Is there a official statement?
From Star Wars.com
In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

And this is just the beginning of a creatively aligned program of Star Wars storytelling created by the collaboration of incredibly talented people united by their love of that galaxy far, far away....

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » June 19th, 2014, 3:18 am

Yep, the LEGENDS banner is on some of the books I was looking at, so they're already making the change.

I guess I could get kindle books, but certain things I like to have as paperback. But then again, my Kindle has been collecting dust lately so I should use it. I'll check out Amazon again.