Dull clear coats?

Post, chat, or discuss topics related to Star Wars, modeling, 3D graphics, or something close to this.
Captain Riker
Padawan
Padawan

Dull clear coats?

Post by Captain Riker » July 31st, 2014, 4:23 am

What do you all use for dull clear coating over Acrylics? I've seen some people mention adding flat clear to future but I've not tried it.

Stefan Hacker
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Dull clear coats?

Post by Stefan Hacker » July 31st, 2014, 8:57 am

I always use Vallejo Acrylic Matte Varnish. Great stuff!

Captain Riker
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Captain Riker » August 1st, 2014, 4:51 am

Maybe I can find some at Jetseyfest this weekend. Any opinion on Liquitex matte varnish?

Slave1
Youngling
Youngling

Post by Slave1 » August 1st, 2014, 9:06 am

This will sound awfully amateurish, but I've been using Testors rattle cans over my acrylics for 10 years now and have never had any problems with it.

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Slave1 wrote:This will sound awfully amateurish, but I've been using Testors rattle cans over my acrylics for 10 years now and have never had any problems with it.
That doesn't sound amateurish. I use Krylon UV-Resistant Clear acrylic coating. Since it's acrylic, non-yellowing, UV protected, and comes in a matte finish, I figured what the heck - it might be good for my models.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Captain Riker
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Captain Riker » August 1st, 2014, 5:47 pm

For some reason I recall someone saying that Laquer based clear coats were a problem and that Tayima discontinued their clear coats (or maybe they can't import them into the US?)

I'll see what I find this weekend but maybe I'm overcomplicating this and should just stick with the Testors or Krylon stuff?

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 1st, 2014, 7:50 pm

Captain Riker wrote:For some reason I recall someone saying that Laquer based clear coats were a problem and that Tayima discontinued their clear coats (or maybe they can't import them into the US?
MegaHobby now carries Tamiya FLAT clear - XF-86 in the bottle for airbrushing.
http://www.megahobby.com/tamiyaxfandxco ... ttles.aspx
It's at the very bottom of the drop-down list.
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

TCSloan
Padawan
Padawan

Post by TCSloan » August 2nd, 2014, 1:38 am

Ive been using Alclad IIs flat..which gives it that ultimate flat look that I havent been able to get using other brands. I recently picked up Badgers Minitaire flat coat ,which is suppose to be airbrush ready but I havent tried it yet

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » August 3rd, 2014, 11:41 pm

I like Testors a lot and it's easily found around town. Next up would be a crafting clear acrylic, but it has a flat sheen on the edge of satin (and it can cloud if not sprayed in the right temp). I sure do miss Tamiya's flat...a lot. That was the best IMHO. I'll have to try Vallejo...

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 4th, 2014, 3:43 am

nicholassagan wrote:I sure do miss Tamiya's flat...a lot. That was the best IMHO. I'll have to try Vallejo...
You didn't see my post above?