Bandai 1/12 First Order Trooper

The Force Awakens
dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Bandai 1/12 First Order Trooper

Post by dupes » February 2nd, 2016, 5:44 pm

Hey fellas!

Feel like I'm completely out of the loop around here these days...blaming a number of factors. A) my limited-bandwidth internet sucks. B) for whatever reason, loading pages on this site lately has slowed to a crawl - is that only me having that issue? And C) I started playing the X-Wing Miniatures game. I knew what would happen when I did, and I was right - total addiction! Managed to put it off for a couple of years, but when Miniature Market had the core sets for 15 bucks on Black Friday there was no way I could resist. On the bright side, my motivation to build SW stuff has gone through the ROOF!

So here I am with the Bandai FO Trooper. Got this as a surprise Christmas present. Wasn't really going to pursue the 1/12 stuff, because I don't have anything else to "match" it to, but man...this kit is awesome. Sure my mind will be changed rapidly!

Lot o' parts to make one guy:

And after a bit of work last night:

With careful sprue removal and cleanup one could easily get away without painting this. Might pose a problem in regards to decaling and weathering, but perhaps with appropriate flat/gloss clear coats I could work around that?
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Re: Bandai 1/12 First Order Trooper

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 3rd, 2016, 4:55 am

I have been looking at these kits for a long while now but haven't yet pulled the trigger to pick one up. I look forward to following this build. Nice start!

Regards,
Don.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » February 3rd, 2016, 2:42 pm

Looking good!!

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » February 3rd, 2016, 5:08 pm

Thanks guys!

Don - based on this one, anyway, I wouldn't have any qualms buying any of their 1/12 figs. Engineering is superb, fit is perfect. Major sprue attachment points are all in out-of-site places.

Made a bit more progress last night:
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » February 3rd, 2016, 10:28 pm

SWEET! So does the gun have white parts as stickers or plastic? OR NEITHER???

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » February 5th, 2016, 10:22 pm

nicholassagan wrote:SWEET! So does the gun have white parts as stickers or plastic? OR NEITHER???
See, now that's the weird part. Every other piece of this kit is color coded or has decals. The blaster rifle they tell you to paint! It would be pretty frickin' tough to paint that thing precisely in my opinion...especially with a) the glossy plastic and b) all of the straight lines and boxes you need to put sharp edges onto. What the heck, Bandai?

Pretty sure this made my mind up for me that he's going to be the "melee" variant!

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » February 5th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Oh yes - here he is. Just need to pick out the proper set of hands for the shield and...vibro-sword? Is that what it is? Then construction will be complete, so I can move onto weathering and basing.

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 6th, 2016, 12:22 am

Looks great! I just ordered one of these yesterday and I am looking forward to receiving it. Great job, can't wait to see it completed.

The non-blaster is called a Z6 Riot Control Baton. As we saw in the movie, it can go toe-to-toe with a lightsaber. Bad video but a memorable scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKBxEai358

Great stuff dupes!

Cheers!
Don.

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » February 19th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Egads! Man am I behind. Updated status:

Went with a gun/shield combo as I didn't like how the hand looked on the baton. Weathering has started, should get the base done soon and this guy headed to the shelf!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » February 19th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Nice pose! Love the shield.