Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.

The Force Awakens
AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 4th, 2016, 1:14 am

Hey all,

Hope it's o.k. if I join in? I will be doing a quick build of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle. Its obviously the Revell kit except it will be glued together rather then snapped together, a few details added with strip plastic, and it will be given a complete repaint. I actually started this last week so I am well into building it.

The obligatory box shot:

The HUGE 14" vertically tall wings (6" at their widest from leading to trailing edge) and they are rather weighty too!:

Take care in steps #2 and #4 to make sure your lower wing leading and trailing edge inserts fit well. Mine were snug and required me to gently pry the wings open a bit to get the inserts to fit well (fortunately I was using a slow setting cement...whew!):

The detail on the lower wing leading edges is quite nice I think:

But Revell doesn't provide any leading edge details for the upper wing (odd and too bad really):

Evergreen plastic to the rescue to add some small details:

And after a coat of Tamiya Primer I think it makes an otherwise bland and lackluster area look a little more "busy":

I will have some pictures of the shuttles main hull to post later. But so far so good and I am really enjoying this kit. Quick, easy, and few hassles thus far.

Thanks for looking all. Comments or questions more then welcome.

Cheers!
Don.

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Re: Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 4th, 2016, 3:07 pm

I got the shuttles main hull assembled.

It comes with a full interior for the cockpit (two seats, a nicely detailed rear bulkhead) ... but... you won't see any of it once you place the canopy on. I mean nothing! So, you will either need to make the canopy removable (easy to do) to allow viewers to peer in or strip the reddish-black off of the pre-painted canopy and dip it in Future, then hit it with a clear red to have a hope of seeing anything inside. Interior lighting would help as well. Personally I like the pre-painted canopy as I think its quite convincing so I am opting to do nothing in the interior save for a shot a medium grey for the passenger/cargo area to display the boarding ramp down.

And here she is primed.

More updates to follow soon.

Regards.

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » February 4th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Looking good.

Didn't realize it had an interior and ramp. I might have to pick up to micromachines Kylo Ren figure. The new micromachine stuff looks to be about HO scale which is 1/87. If the shuttle really is 1/93 that's close enough for me
This pack's got Ren, Phasma and some Storm Troopers
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... 61276:TRUS
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 4th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Interesting in regards the micromachines figures. I may have to pop over to Toys R Us to see if the figures are about the right size (I am sure my son won't mind the diversion after school :) ). A Kylo Ren and a couple Stormtroopers coming down the ramp might add some additional visual interest. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards.

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » February 4th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Sweet. I do love the shuttle, and this kit is nice.

The Hasbro MM figures are about 1/79 if you judge human height at about 1.75m. But they should easily work for anything 1/72 to 1/93-ish.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » February 4th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Thanks. I wasn't sure of scale exactly. They seemed really close in size to some HO scale figures. The new ones definitely seemed smaller than the old micromachine ones (the original ones, not the ones whose legs have joints)
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 5th, 2016, 4:54 am

Kylo Ren's shuttle looks to be pretty pristine and impeccably maintained based on what little screen shots and photos there are of it out there. So weathering will be kept to an extreme minimum (basically picking out some details with aluminum and goldish-bronze colors). My goal is to use gloss, semi-gloss, and flat black in an attempt to break up an otherwise monotone color.

Starting with the semi-gloss black (red canopy is shown as it comes in the kit and looks pretty convincing to my eyes. It is merely placed on for photographic purposes).

From here I will mask off selected panels to spray gloss and flat black to give color variations. It will be a LOT of masking but I think it will pay off in the end by yielding different tones of black.

I will paint the wings and main hull separately and then cement the three main assemblies together before picking out red and white lights and some piping in various flat metal colors. I hope to have some photos of the fully assembled and black painted shuttle up by the end of the weekend.

Thanks all for looking, commenting, and offering suggestions. Much appreciated!

Cheers!
Don.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » February 5th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Hey nice start!!!

AT-AT Fan
Youngling
Youngling

Post by AT-AT Fan » February 7th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Crazy amount of masking this weekend! This is where things currently stand.

The gloss and semi-gloss black are drown out in the photographs...and boy is black ever a challenge to photograph for me personally.

This is also a pretty big subject and cumbersome to move as its top heavy and wants to roll in your hands... so be warned.

The wings fit to the shuttles main hull with ease. I obviously glued them in place, which is a MUST in my opinion as snapping them on will eventually make them sloppy and floppy with repeated moving/relocating. There is an ever so slight gap where the wings meet the shuttles main hull...but we are talking super tiny. Considering the wings open up to a loose "V" while in flight this gap is supposed to be there. For anyone planning to build their shuttle with wings opened to in flight configuration be prepared to really strengthen the attachments as these wings are heavy!!

I still need to add red and white lights to various areas, touch some of the piping/duct work with aluminum color and do a very small amount of weathering. But its coming along nicely I think.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Regards,
Don

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » February 7th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Looking great! You did nice work with the black.