T-47 Seaspeeder (FM conversion)

for critique on all works in progress models
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

T-47 Seaspeeder (FM conversion)

Post by Unreality » August 24th, 2014, 1:55 am

Well, I have really been enjoying doing T-47 variants. And this one is a conjectural sea-based variant with pontoons, extended engines, and steering fins.

It started as a combination between these two kits:

The 1/72 Seiran is a nice kit and provides some nicely-sized floats for the Snowspeeder. Now, I don't have any pics of the in-progress build, but this is where I'm at now:

I decided to create a dock for it, and I even found a 1/48 pilot that looks nice alongside the speeder. Most of it was scratch-built, but I did find a lot of greeblies for the speeder and dock. I also made a mold of the 1/48 Rebel helmet, so I can add some helmets to the dock.

I've recently primed it, but I haven't started the actual painting yet. With any luck, this forum will give me an incentive to photo the process.
Last edited by Unreality on November 7th, 2017, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: T-47 Seaspeeder (FM conversion)

Post by nicholassagan » August 24th, 2014, 2:09 am

Why I do believe this qualifies as pure genius...

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » August 24th, 2014, 2:52 am

nicholassagan wrote:Why I do believe this qualifies as pure genius...
Thank you man. That means a lot...especially from a master builder, maker, designer, etc. etc.

Jason Abbadon
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Jason Abbadon » August 24th, 2014, 5:52 am

Super awesome! Might I suggest adding a couple of underslung torpedos to the main hull? Seems like they'd be more useful on the water than the big blasters would be, what with choppy seas and all.
I really dig this concept- you could make a flat-bottomed version for swampy worlds like Kyshyk (sp?) like an airboat.

Maybe add some basic nautical gear to her too- I like the like a side ladder you have there - maybe some personal floatation devices?
You could add a lifevest to the pilot too...

Maybe put a mine layer of some kind where the rear harpoon would go on a snowspeeder? Maybe the mines act as giant "droid-poppers" for disabling Aqua Droids?

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » August 24th, 2014, 10:42 am

Cool! Star Wars never nailed the water aspect.

sumpter250
Padawan
Padawan

Post by sumpter250 » August 24th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Unreality, :twisted: :twisted: WELCOME - - - - to the universe of "kitbash" ;) :D

May the force be with you, always.
We always learn more from our own mistakes, than we ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.......I can find it myself

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » August 24th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Thanks guys.

I like your ideas Jason. I may consider something like that in the future, as I have already primed it. I really like the idea of floating mines or depth charges.

I did make a Swampspeeder a few years ago for the Scale Model Addict contest. http://www.rebelscale.com/models/star-w ... mpspeeder/

I want to get some more FM Snowspeeders and do a desert variant, high-altitude variant, civilian variant...and hopefully a straight-up Snow version.
Last edited by Unreality on September 27th, 2016, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » August 24th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Amazing work!! And Concept!

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » August 25th, 2014, 3:25 am

Excellent! Dig the whole concept.

Better hoover up as many FM speeders as you can now while they're still semi-available. :(
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » August 25th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Pretty cool conversion. Nice diorama as well. Looking forward to seeing it painted up.
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.