The Shrike - Slave 1 kitbash

for critique on all works in progress models
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

The Shrike - Slave 1 kitbash

Post by Unreality » September 5th, 2015, 1:15 am

Well, this is my latest build that I've been working on for a few months now. I had the Fine Molds 1/72 Jango Slave I and decided to kit-bash it into a custom mercenary transport.

This is the concept art that inspired the build. Originally, I was going to have it fly like that (with the canopy vertical), but after playing around, I found that I preferred a different look.

Here's the cockpit. I used the base parts from the kit and just added a lot of detail. I've drilled several holes for fiber (some I installed), but I think I will add most of it after I paint it.

Assembled hull pieces (not yet glued). The white styrene piece on the nose is one solid piece that I had to cut out, scribe the panel lines, and then glue to the hull.

Hull parts and internal wiring. There are 3 thrusters. Each small one is made from the wing parts of the Slave I. The large thruster has 3 LEDs lighting it, while the smaller ones have 1 LED. Also, you can see a lot of the greeblies I've added to the rear. I originally cut out that chunk because I wanted another big thruster under the main one, but I couldn't make it look quite right. So in the end, I built up the area with more detail.

Here it is on the stand. You can also see the wings I made. These are pointing backward from the concept art, but I like the look.

Another shot. This gives you a good idea of the profile of the ship.

Enjoy. If you have any ideas, feel free to throw them my way.
Last edited by Unreality on November 7th, 2017, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website

Stu Pidasso
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: The Shrike - Slave 1 kitbash

Post by Stu Pidasso » September 5th, 2015, 2:27 am

Oh that's sexy. Jimi is moist.
Rogueknight wrote:Figured I had to post to keep Stu moist....

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » September 5th, 2015, 2:36 am

Wow such a sweet design!!! I love it! You do fantastic work!!

Uwe Kaeding
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Uwe Kaeding » September 5th, 2015, 3:59 am

Really nice work - where did the concept art come from?

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » September 5th, 2015, 4:47 am

Stu Pidasso wrote:Oh that's sexy. Jimi is moist.
Thanks. Glad to see my model affecting people. :D

dano985 wrote:Wow such a sweet design!!! I love it! You do fantastic work!!
Thanks man. It means a lot.

Uwe Kaeding wrote:Really nice work - where did the concept art come from?
Thanks. I found that art many many years ago. It may have been extra concept art from one of the prequels that didn't make the books. I can't remember. I have like 4000 Star Wars images...it's hard to remember where I got what.

Kottlewski
Youngling
Youngling

Post by Kottlewski » September 5th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Looking very good, I'm soo going to copy this, one of my revell pocket kits is going to be butchered.... :D

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » September 6th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Kottlewski wrote:Looking very good, I'm soo going to copy this, one of my revell pocket kits is going to be butchered.... :D
Dude, that would be awesome. Definitely upload pics for us when you start.

sci-fi-bldr
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by sci-fi-bldr » September 6th, 2015, 8:09 pm

I'm more than moist.... :P

This is without a doubt the best looking concept I've seen in years....maybe ever...I LOVE IT...

Can't wait to see more................HURRY!

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » September 6th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Thank you, man. That means a lot, and I do mean that. There's something about making a model that is your own design that makes it very personal. So words of encouragement mean all the more.

So, here's what I was working on last night. I added grabhandles to the side as some kind of maintenance access thing. I used the Grabhandler, which allows you to recreate grabhandles at precise sizes. I used the first one as a guide, mashing the sharpened ends into the plastic strip, then drilling out the holes. The final grabhandles were dunked into a brass burnishing fluid that darkened the metal and made it ready for painting.

Here's a closer shot of the wings. You can see the details better.

Something I have had trouble with is cutting the super-thin styrene sheets (.13 mm). You can't buy strips this thin, and using a scoring blade tends to just bend the sheets. So, I used a paper-cutter. The trick was having something that held the entire sheet down so it doesn't move. I was able to create several dozen strips of various sizes. Now, I can put them in my chopper and create super-thin raised panels for any project I'm working on.

Right now, I'm adding more greeblies and thinking about how I'm going to detail the engines up.
Last edited by Unreality on November 7th, 2017, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » September 9th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Goddamnmit this is cool