Revell U-wing

for critique on all works in progress models
Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Revell U-wing

Post by Unreality » October 3rd, 2016, 3:23 pm

Not that I need ANOTHER kit to work on, but I thought I'd at least share some pics and info about the U-wing Revell recently came out with. Personally, I think the kit is pretty nice, especially for $20. It is 28 cm long and Revell lists it at 1/100 scale. So this thing is pretty big. I'll update this and the build log on my website from time to time. But first, I really need to finish Kylo Ren's Shuttle.

Comparison to similarly-scaled vehicles, the Titanium V-wing (1/101) and A-wing (1/97). Also see the size of the figure to the A-wing.

The engines come in 4 pieces: nozzle, intake, and 2 halves. The grey nozzle pieces are already glued together. Unfortunately, the recessed lines near the intake become softer around the edges

The U-wing actually has an underside canopy with inner detail. This would allow the pilots to scan the landing area. There's also some landing gear holes that need to removed.

Check out the detailed cockpit with screens and controls. Also, the pilots are fantastic for the size. The seats have detail on both sides, and the power box has a simulated door on it leading to the troop bay.

I'm also uploading larger pictures than I used to, so hopefully you guys can see the details better.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Revell U-wing

Post by blakeh1 » October 3rd, 2016, 4:09 pm

Wow that does look pretty good, and for a change, they gave us a real interior and even pilot figures. (None of the Force Awakens kits had pilots, and many of their offering in the past, the cockpits were mostly ignored in place of featureless panels with maybe one dial if you were lucky)

It looks like it might scale ok with the Revell Imperial Shuttle, Kylo Ren shuttle, Republic Shuttle and pocket X-wing (1/112) and Pocket Tie Interceptor and Vader tie, MPC AT-AT and MPC B-wing

Thanks for the pics. I'll have to pick one of these up since I have all most of the above

Seems like Revells scales generally kind of hover around the 1/100 to 1/120 scale, and the 1/50 to 1/65 scale and around the 1/87 (HO) scale

They should try to at least stick to consistent scale between subjects of the same size

1/110 is an established scale (TT scale) and 1/65 is also an established scale (S Scale)

I wonder if they are purposely aiming for those model railroad scales and then tweaking a bit up or down to fit the nearest box size as opposed to randomly drawing a scale from a hat (which it seems like they do sometimes
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

PixelMagic
Padawan
Padawan

Post by PixelMagic » October 3rd, 2016, 8:06 pm

I started working on this kit 3 days ago, and it's really not too bad. The proportions are pretty dead on accurate, it's just some of the surface details/panel lines that aren't quite right. I've filled a couple panel lines in and rescribed a couple more. Even just straight out the box it could look nice with a good paint job. Much better than the TFA kits.

I was really impressed with the control panel and pilots. The pilots are pretty close to Bandai quality.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » October 3rd, 2016, 8:10 pm

This kit is probably the nicest snap-n-play yet. The details are really nice (although it could use more) but should build up nicely.

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » October 3rd, 2016, 8:13 pm

PixelMagic wrote:I started working on this kit 3 days ago, and it's really not too bad. The proportions are pretty dead on accurate, it's just some of the surface details/panel lines that aren't quite right. I've filled a couple panel lines in and rescribed a couple more. Even just straight out the box it could look nice with a good paint job. Much better than the TFA kits.

I was really impressed with the control panel and pilots. The pilots are pretty close to Bandai quality.
Awesome. Which panels are you rescribing or detailing?

PixelMagic
Padawan
Padawan

Post by PixelMagic » October 3rd, 2016, 8:15 pm

Unreality wrote:
PixelMagic wrote:Awesome. Which panels are you rescribing or detailing?
I'll post a WIP thread tonight and Photoshop a diagram over my photograph to show what I've done.

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » October 3rd, 2016, 8:22 pm

Awesome. I'm trying to find references, but there isn't much out right now, except a few stills from BTS videos and the small shots of the Bandai version.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » October 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm

PixelMagic wrote:
Unreality wrote:
PixelMagic wrote:Awesome. Which panels are you rescribing or detailing?
I'll post a WIP thread tonight and Photoshop a diagram over my photograph to show what I've done.
That'd be cool. I'm thinking of making some 3D engine replacements...what else could use a new part upgrade?

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » October 3rd, 2016, 8:56 pm

The cannons need work if you want to get a brass lathe. IF we had better references, the interior troop compartment would look nice if upgraded (get rid of the power box).

johnwaljr
Padawan
Padawan

Post by johnwaljr » October 4th, 2016, 1:52 am

Door gunner maybe?