JPG 1/350 Radiant VII

for critique on all works in progress models
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

JPG 1/350 Radiant VII

Post by nicholassagan » September 16th, 2013, 12:05 am

JPG’s kit mastered by Stefan Hacker. I’m doing the classic Radiant VII build seen in Episode I to fit in with the SMA “Rumors of War” Group Build.

All the blue markings are where I will take a router and clean out material to make room for the lighting circuits. I’m going to plan on doing a ‘ship-mounted’ battery so stay tuned to see the challenge overcome! I'm thinking coin cells under the antenna assembly. I also have some clear acrylic rod on the way so that will be a challenge bending it!

Here's where she sits:

marks are for fiber optics
all the trimmings to make
opened up the 'pit
with FO spots
battery cavity
big trench to gut
trimming to get to fit...the main engine rack must have shrunk just slightly during casting because these fit like a glove on the master...
managed to assemble the engine fins
fiddley bits
engine nozzles via stefan
base

StarMayhem
Youngling
Youngling

Re: JPG 1/350 Radiant VII

Post by StarMayhem » September 16th, 2013, 4:14 am

I love this kit, was just spot on. I've gotton to the painting stage on mine and have ballsed up the mix shes more pink atm, wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on colour

Halcyon083
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Halcyon083 » September 16th, 2013, 5:01 am

Now that is a beautiful chunk of resin! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
By Grapthar's hammer... what a savings...

Stefan Hacker
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Stefan Hacker » September 16th, 2013, 7:33 am

Woohaa! Rock´n Roll! Looking forward to see more Nick!

merseajohn
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by merseajohn » September 16th, 2013, 8:46 am

This is going to be awesome.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » September 18th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Plenty of drilling and Dremeling on this guy, too. First the drill came in and cut the longer paths for the wiring, right down the main hull and front pod section. My aim was a little off so it took a small bite out of the detail in the front but was easy enough to replace. While I was looking at the top cockpit spine part I noticed that there were some faint scribing lines they needed some attention.

Additionally, the rings that go on the engine section needed some trimming to fit. Now they all fit a little loosely but they should still adhere pretty well. This section will be a sub-assembly before painting.

In order to hide the wires that will run to the engine LEDs I used the cutting blade to dig a hidden trench in the triangular piece. The thickness was just right but I did tilt it just slightly on a section so there will be a light repair job ahead. You can see I also gutted the connecting pieces a bit, just to provide a little more room to work.

The triangular piece also had some bulk that I was able to gut. It’s not a lot but it’ll be enough in combination with the antenna cap to house the batteries. The connecting main hull section was also opened up in the front (for easier fiber optic runs) and the back (for easier wire runs). Looks pretty good straight through so far.

The antenna cap is the piece with the most useable or gut-able bulk. It’s essentially a shell now. There was only one tiny spot that I bored through but again, minor repair work. In combination with the triangular piece it makes a good bit of room.

The last bit of gutting needed was the spine and pod sections. No problem. The pod does have a deeper section in the middle to make it easier on the fiber optics that will go in the bottom. The cockpit I went a little to far and opened up the floor but since the consoles and chairs are a separate piece they should cover it up just fine.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » September 18th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Wow! You're a busy man! Both kits are looking great! Can't wait to see em done!

Stefan Hacker
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Stefan Hacker » September 19th, 2013, 7:55 am

Wow that´s a lot holes! :D I guess you are some kind of mutated bark beetle :D

Bad thing about the front of the Escape Pod cone but i guess you can fix it with Aves.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » September 22nd, 2013, 3:49 am

Built up the engine sub-assembly sans-LED plates (which I drilled out in preparation for the incoming LEDs). There were some not-so-finished edges on the connecting fins so I added some U-bar strips. Also threaded the fiber optics for it which will run into the battery compartment.

Joined the main hull and wing section. Then I dropped it and it snapped to I put it back together with some reinforcement. You can also see in the profile shot the shape of the battery “cap” space. There was a slight hang-up on the central engine injection curvy piece so that was trimmed.

Threaded the big-ass fiber optics. Word.

Now to the battery compartment cap/antenna array. Firstly I needed to cover that gap I opened up so I cut out a piece of plastic from a film canister. It fits perfectly over the area AND provides support for that main antenna arm. The magnets were a breeze to install and the whole thing clamps down in place nicely. There was a little bit of a gap up in the front so some filler styrene was added. Not too worried about any gaps at this point because I’m trying to save all my putty work for one step.

The array itself is a fun, detailed assembly of fiddley bits. Lots of careful sanding and tweezer work. The wires included in the kit were the perfect diameter to fit through some brass tubing, which is closer to the studio model. I also bent the dish-wire to poke through, also matching the studio model better.

Captain Riker
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Captain Riker » September 22nd, 2013, 4:02 am

Nice detailing. The antennas look great.

I love the magnetic batter cover. Good spot for it.