1/4222 Ertl Star Destroyer HYPER BUILD!

for critique on all works in progress models
nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

1/4222 Ertl Star Destroyer HYPER BUILD!

Post by nicholassagan » March 12th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Here's an entry for the Big Spring Contest: a super-detailed Ertl Star Destroyer!

It's going up in the standard WIP section because I started it on the 1st, not the 10th. Here's my progress thus far.

So far I have my domes and scribing guide as well as some new parts from Odyssey Slipways to try out. The hangar replacements and engine nozzles look incredible. This build will of course be LIT with LEDs and fiber optics much the same as my Errant Venture build from a couple years back. At this point in the build I’ve just begun shaving/sanding the hull pieces in preparation for the scribing. I’m still on the fence with how to go about the bridge, whether or not to pick up Arvey’s parts, 3D print a new bridge set or just scratch build it….I’m leaning towards #2 believe it or not. It could very well turn into a Cosmos Models product if it’s successful…

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: 1/4222 Ertl Star Destroyer HYPER BUILD!

Post by nicholassagan » March 12th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Slow start. But it’s a slow BIG step. I shaved down the raised grid work on both the main hull pieces now. Some spot-applied putty was needed because there were some divots and other oddities. It’ll be best to have a smooth of a surface as possible to add the panel lines and other details.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » March 12th, 2014, 5:54 pm

More slow progress on shaving the parts down. All the superstructure walls were completely shaved down to the bare surfaces. There were a handful of “ledges” that needed to be cut down. I still need to sand them down a bit, putty, and sand once more before they are ready for the decals. I also decided to go ahead and try doing the bridge as a 3D print as opposed to getting the Arvey resin set (as I have yet to hear back from Jon). I might also decide to do the turrets and bays in 3D because even if I could scratch build the little turrets, there’s no way I could make 8 identical ones.

dano985
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dano985 » March 12th, 2014, 6:07 pm

WOW. This is going to be incredible!! This kit is such a pain though.....
Looking forward to this build!

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » March 12th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Looking forward to this!

As an aside question,

I'm curious how much different dimension wise would a corrected 1/4222 bridge be from the stock kit

i.e.
If I was to scratch build the bridge tower/neck, how wide should the tower be? How tall should the tower be in the middle and how tall would it be on the left/right side as it angles down. How much space on the neck between the bottom of the tower and the top of the structure below it?
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » March 12th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I'll get to that soon... :D The kit face piece is 65mm wide so I'm going to try and match that and go from there.

The neck/spine kit parts are just a little too tall, as are the side trenches. For the Errant Venture I figured the trenches needed to be 7mm tall if the new wall was placed at the same location as the kit strips.

Chain Driven
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Chain Driven » March 12th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Looking forward to this Nick, might steal a few ideas :P

dupes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dupes » March 12th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Yessir...totally taking notes.

What does one of these builds end up costing by the time you make all of the required fixes? About the same as an Anigrand (at half the size)? :o
Need to build 30 models per year until I'm 90 to clean out the stash. Time to get cracking!

nicholassagan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by nicholassagan » March 12th, 2014, 9:21 pm

well...if i were to LIGHT the anigrand kit that's an extra $200 easy....
we'll see what the final cost is but right now I'm @ about $100 (and I haven't ordered the fiber optics or LEDs yet...)

Jason Abbadon
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Jason Abbadon » March 13th, 2014, 12:13 am

WOW! This is going to be amazing!
Annnnd you'll have that bridge file handy for future projects, right? If nothing else, that flat bridge face part looks killer for many scratchbuilt capital ship ideas- just some mods here or there and you could do anything- maybe make a small diorama of the asteroid impacting that ISD from ESB...or the A-Wing impact from RTOJ! You could add a plaque to that with some quote about "one man's sacrifice...."

I have that Odyssey Slipways engine belle and hangar set- the quality there is exceptional!
I really want to see you make those parts shine- maybe putting one of Roncho's TIE Interceptors ready for launch...