Vader's First Fighter

for critique on all works in progress models
DarthScrumptious
Padawan
Padawan

Re: Vader's First Fighter

Post by DarthScrumptious » January 16th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Thank you sir. The project is almost finished. Waiting for good weather conditions - warm and dry - to paint the canopy. In San Diego this is not usually an issue. Been raining. The last piece!

DarthScrumptious
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DarthScrumptious » March 31st, 2019, 2:34 am

I painted and distressed the canopy and attached it with 15 minute epoxy. I covered it with tape to protect it.
I attached the "Radiator Wings" and fixed them in the open position. The Kit includes a steel pin that fits into each wing and the body of the ship. I guess the premise is that you can pose the wings in the open or closed position. Here is an unpainted assembly.
Unpainted Wing.jpg
Unpainted Wing.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Since I fixed the wings open I didn't like the open spaces in the parts revealing the pivot pin. I found some photo reference and decided to fill the spaces with Milliput. This is art from the "Clone Wars" TV series.
Ahsoka Fighter Wing.jpg
Ahsoka Fighter Wing.jpg (92.8 KiB) Viewed 5225 times

DarthScrumptious
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DarthScrumptious » March 31st, 2019, 8:54 am

I filled the gaps in the wings and the adjoining "hinges." Milliput is two part putty that can be smoothed with water and shaped with sculpting tools. It dries rock hard in 12 to 24 hours depending on temperature and humidity.
Vader Fighter L Wing Miliput.jpg
Vader Fighter L Wing Miliput.jpg (162.53 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Vader - Miliput Wing.jpg
Vader - Miliput Wing.jpg (169.56 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Vader Miliput R Wing.jpg
Vader Miliput R Wing.jpg (165.1 KiB) Viewed 5218 times

DarthScrumptious
Padawan
Padawan

Post by DarthScrumptious » May 2nd, 2019, 8:06 am

I purchased a couple 1/24 resin "half" droids for use in Studio scale x-wings from a gentleman I found on Facebook - Tom Gardner. The Revell Eta-2-Actis is NOT 1/24 scale as references by some scale guides. It is more like 1/29 or 1/30 scale. I had to make the opening for the droid larger with a Dremel. I didn't take a lot of photos of the droid in progress. As of this month I have been working on this project for five years and two days. :shock: Here is the partially painted droid.
Vader Fighter - Droid Primed 2.jpg
Vader Fighter - Droid Primed 2.jpg (114.34 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
Vader Fighter - Droid Primed.jpg
Vader Fighter - Droid Primed.jpg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
The project is finished. I have posted photos in the "Finished Work" section of the forum.