So I tried to fix the shittiest SW Ship...

Show your finished models and 3D artwork here
Kottlewski
Youngling
Youngling

So I tried to fix the shittiest SW Ship...

Post by Kottlewski » September 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Yes, the one from the shitiest SW movie...

I guess by now everybody has seen at least a dozen youtube videos about the flaws of this design, not going to repeat that.

Here is what I've done:
- Changed it mentally from 1/270 to 1/350 my favorite scale, in the movie the fuselage was an empty tube probably to rhyme with WW2 bombers, mine has 2 decks and is filled with tech like shield generators and stuff and around 9 meters longer.

- Upgraded engines, slow is ok, slow as f.. is not.

- Changed all weapons, fixed laser cannons fore and aft on unmanouverable ships, the bombs.. :D no way...
4 quad laser ballturrets, an upper automated light blaster turret, 12 rapid reloading proton torpedo tubes with a lot of torpedos in a detachable section (lower ball turret stays with main fuselage), 2 concussion missile pods able to fire forward and rearward and 2 heavy ion cannons (the 2 rods sticking out from the bombbay). Basically the firepower of a squadron Y-wings in a single ship. Too OP for my taste, so firing the ion cannon drains so much energy that the turrets stop firing for 15-20 seconds and the concussion missile launchers are the only defence for those 15-20 seconds and they have no reloads.

- Added a bigger cockpit, I just liked the curve of the glued Y-wing cockpit

360 walkaround, some minor details still to do

Made possible with my new Elegoo 3d resin printer, engines an ballturrets were printed. Insane detail for 250$ or €... finally after 25 years I have 1/350 X-wings... ;)
B and Y-wing from FFG for size comparision

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: So I tried to fix the shittiest SW Ship...

Post by blakeh1 » September 16th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Very cool, I love what you did with it
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

Stu Pidasso
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Stu Pidasso » September 17th, 2019, 1:33 am

I clicked on this link hoping and praying it wasn't one of my kits LOL
Rogueknight wrote:Figured I had to post to keep Stu moist....

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » September 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Stu Pidasso wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 1:33 am
I clicked on this link hoping and praying it wasn't one of my kits LOL
:lol: I don't think I've ever heard your kits described that way.

Kottlewski, I never noticed how poorly designed the original version was until seeing your improved version next to it. The modifications provide a backstory that almost writes itself. And I think that your version helps to make the original look better too, just by having both versions displayed together. Not that the original actually looks better, but it sort of feels like there was a purpose to the original design as a modular platform.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Unreality
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Unreality » September 22nd, 2019, 11:18 pm

Personally, I loved the ship and the film.

But I like the idea of additional turrets. The y-wing kit-bashing is a very nice touch.
Rebel Scale: my modeling website