1/72 TIE Crawler

for critique on all works in progress models
Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

1/72 TIE Crawler

Post by Del » August 13th, 2019, 7:38 pm

About a year ago, Stu Pidasso, aka The Jimi, aka JPG, was kind enough to sell me the TIE Crawler pattern that was mastered by Stefan Hacker. I've finally got the kit ready for re-release. Originally designed as Finemolds 1/72 scale, I've also made adapter parts so it's possible now to sell it as either a complete Finemolds scale kit, or as a conversion-only kit for Bandai TIEs. Here are the parts breakdowns for each kit, but I will likely also include Imperial decals with it in a few shades of black and gray. Complete kit first, Bandai conversion second.

Here's a better look at how the conversion parts will allow Bandai parts to work with the rest of the conversion kit.

Personally, my shelf is dedicated to Finemolds scale, so I will be continuing this build with the complete kit. I've already got this built up with primer and Haze Grey sprayed on. Too busy just now to post those images, so more photos will be added this evening.

Last edited by Del on August 14th, 2019, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Re: 1/72 TIE Crawler

Post by Del » August 14th, 2019, 5:02 am

With the Bandai conversion parts shown above, the rest of the build is the same for either version.

Pour stub areas on the track sections are covered by small sections of track that are to be trimmed slightly and fit into place. I changed this part of the kit a little, by pre-forming the track sections a little so it's a bit easier to fit in place.

Where the mold seam is located there's a bit more that needs filled with putty than I usually prefer, but it's not affecting any detail and is an easy fix. I also scratched up the surface of each side for the next step.

On the inside of each track a flat detail plating part is super-glued for the TIE hull to be connected later. I positioned these so that the small piece of track is located at the rear of the crawler.

On the outside of each track the outer plating parts are glued.

The spire/sensor (What is that thing?) is connected to the rear of the cockpit ball.

Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Uwe Kaeding
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Uwe Kaeding » August 14th, 2019, 9:28 am

Great news that these are back Del - I've got the FM version sitting on my shelf but it looks a bit off next to the Bandai TIEs. Let us know when the Bandai conversion sets are ready to order and I'll get one. Also, nice work on improving the fit of the missing track piece - that was a bit annoying on the original version.

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 14th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Uwe Kaeding wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 9:28 am
Great news that these are back Del - I've got the FM version sitting on my shelf but it looks a bit off next to the Bandai TIEs. Let us know when the Bandai conversion sets are ready to order and I'll get one. Also, nice work on improving the fit of the missing track piece - that was a bit annoying on the original version.
Should be ready by the end of the month. I missed out on this one when it was previously available, so when Jimi offered it to me I jumped at the chance. The track piece still needs a small amount of trimming to fit properly, but with the ends pre-bent to fit around the corners it works out just fine.

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 14th, 2019, 5:27 pm

With this post, I'm caught up on the build progress thus far. I used black primer, and then Tamiya Haze Grey TS-32 which I decanted and sprayed through my airbrush. Helpful hint - I use isopropyl alcohol as thinner for Tamiya paint, but it won't work on the spray cans as it curdles up almost immediately. Freshly decanted Haze Grey doesn't need thinner anyway, so it worked out just fine (After I cleaned the goop out of my airbrush.)

Here's the Bandai TIE placed to see how it would look. Looks good, but the width is slightly wider by about 1/2 inch or 1 cm. In some ways I think it looks more menacing with the wider stance.

Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Ramsayman » August 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm

The difference is really minimal. They look good both ways.

Yoda Jammies
Youngling
Youngling

Post by Yoda Jammies » August 23rd, 2019, 5:08 pm

Nifty!

Good job as always Del! This is a really cool kit of Jimi's that you will make shine.
I have been trying to match the Bandai TIE to the kit, and have not had luck getting the parts flush. This is Wizard!
MTFBWY
Jammies

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 27th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Almost finished. I think the Imperial Emblem on the outside needs to be larger. Just doesn't look right at that size, so I'll make it about twice that size and center it in that block. While Imperial craft are usually more clean than their rebel counterparts, I decided to smudge up the track area on the outside by using the MIG washes.

Anyone who's been around tracked vehicles can tell you that even immediately following a trip to the washrack, dirt may come off, but some rust and grease stains just won't. Since the inside of the tracks has a few access panels, I thought maybe some rusty leaks might look good. Also a bit more grease is seen here around the tracks than on the outside where it would be more visible to anyone passing by.

Since the belly gun has some raised detail, I thought I would paint it so that it's visible.

I'm still not sure what that thing is that protrudes from the back of the cockpit ball, but it looks bland with 4 circular thingys on it. I made these decals and then carefully placed a small dot of acrylic silver paint in the center, let it dry, then wet the decal and placed it upside down so the silver paint is facing down. What shows through is a perfect black circle with the silver in the center.

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 28th, 2019, 5:36 pm

That looks so much better. Definitely needed the larger marking. Calling this one done, and will take better photos to post in the Finished forum. Guess I need to remove some lint and dust specs while I'm at it too. Dang photos show everything! :P

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Del » August 30th, 2019, 12:15 am

I was in a bit of a hurry to say the build was finished, and forgot about a touch of detail paint and weathering on the cockpit ball, but I still think it looks good. It's now in the Finished forum - https://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewto ... f=8&t=2506