WIP New Republic (Legends) V-Wing

for critique on all works in progress 3D models
computergeek
Youngling
Youngling

WIP New Republic (Legends) V-Wing

Post by computergeek » January 6th, 2020, 6:30 am

A few months back, I messaged Jimi at JPG Productions about the cockpit on his upcoming Outrider. I tend to like the studio model approach of having the cockpit frames with no glass, and I saw that his was going to be cast in clear resin (I hate masking!). One thing lead to another, and I ended up re-modeling the cockpit and interior for the kit. Wanting to stretch my CAD skills a bit further, I decided to try a full ship.

This is a New Republic V-Wing I've been working on for the last few months in FreeCAD. Eventually I will 3D print it on my LCD resin printer. I decided to do this model because the shapes are rather basic (or so I thought), and I don't think anyone has ever done a kit of this ship. I used what little references there were from Google, many of the smaller details are inspired by the Rebel Snowspeeder and the X-Wing cockpit.

By the wingspan from Wookiepedia, this model is 1/48 scale. However, a 1/72 pilot fits the cockpit perfectly (1/48 is way too big). So I'm calling it 1/72 scale.

This is my first ship model I've made from scratch for 3D printing. I've started learning about greeblies that many SW ships use, but I know there's plenty of room to improve. Any advice or critiques are welcomed!

Cockpit details are still a WIP. Pictured here is a 1/72 scale Rebel pilot from Thingiverse. I plan to add some recessed areas to show where monitors and dials and such are. The black panels are actually a very fine ribbed texture (somewhat inspired by koolshade, but not quite the same).

Main reference image-

I also used this very awesome cross section to get the initial shaped down

If you want to see fullsize pictures, here's a link to the imgur album- https://imgur.com/gallery/bkWl0tY

Thanks for looking!

Thanks,
Trey

Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Re: WIP New Republic (Legends) V-Wing

Post by Ramsayman » January 6th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Very cool! I've always wanted a model of this kit. Went far enough to print out a paper model of it, and scratch-built most of a cockpit for it. Never finished it, as I've never really liked paper models, and never got around to translating it to plastic. This looks good, though.
Last edited by Ramsayman on January 11th, 2020, 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uwe Kaeding
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Post by Uwe Kaeding » January 7th, 2020, 12:23 am

That's looking really good - will be really interested in seeing how it prints.

computergeek
Youngling
Youngling

Post by computergeek » January 7th, 2020, 7:38 am

Thanks for the kind words! I plan to distribute this somehow after it's finished and I know the pieces will build up correctly

Ramsayman
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Ramsayman » January 7th, 2020, 11:44 pm

I want one!

blakeh1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by blakeh1 » January 11th, 2020, 12:04 am

Very cool!
If you have a tool and aren't aware of what it can do, its dangerous. A jedi can do amazing things with a lightsaber. A roomful of chimps with lightsabers... would get messy.

computergeek
Youngling
Youngling

Post by computergeek » January 13th, 2020, 7:14 am

Thanks everyone! Currently working on more greeblies (particularly in the back area)
back greeblies.PNG
back greeblies.PNG (83.72 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

acesh007

Post by acesh007 » January 24th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Awesome work. It looks great, especially for your first time doing a ship. Gives me hope to brush up on my CAD skills that I havent used in almost 13yrs.

computergeek
Youngling
Youngling

Post by computergeek » February 4th, 2020, 9:39 pm

acesh007 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:34 pm
Awesome work. It looks great, especially for your first time doing a ship. Gives me hope to brush up on my CAD skills that I havent used in almost 13yrs.
Thanks! I'm sure it's like riding a bike, just gotta get used to a new interface.

I started test printing a few parts and have realized that some of my greeblies don't come out well in 1/72 scale. Since I've already done the work, I'll probably save these as "large scale" parts and make some larger, simpler details for the "smaller scales"

dark kyp
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by dark kyp » February 6th, 2020, 9:06 pm

the 3D is looking good!