1/144 Desert Creeper (Sand Crawler)

Show your finished models and 3D artwork here
Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

1/144 Desert Creeper (Sand Crawler)

Post by Del » August 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm

After much mind-bending thought, I've decided not to do any more detail painting to my Kessel Run Kits 1/144 scale Desert Creeper (Sand Crawler) build-up. I could futz with it for days and still feel like it needs more here...less there. In the end I need to say it's finished at some point. Overall I'm thoroughly satisfied with my first attempt at any major weathering. In the future it will now be easier for me to do this again.

The base color paint I used here was Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red. Then I sprayed ultra-thinned black for the base of the smudges and oil/grease leaks, and some spattering of Deck Tan XF-55 on the tracks. Headlights were painted black with silver inside. Applied MIG enamel type washes of Dark Wash, Neutral Wash, and Winter Camouflage Wash with a thin brush and allowed gravity and capillary action to make the leaks travel normally (except for the front ramp which I'm not totally happy with).

Masked off the lower area to protect it, and mixed a little bit of the Hull Red with Orange to tone the orange down slightly since it was so bright, and applied it with small bits of cut up sponge. Masked off the upper area and then applied white with the tip of an old toothbrush so I got a bit of a stippling effect. Then waited for everything to dry completely (mostly the petroleum-based washes), and then sprayed several coats of flat clear until the slight build-up start to make it look dusty.

Thanks for the encouragement in the W.I.P. Work In Progress thread. ;) I had a lot of fun finally bringing this build to life after it sat on my shelf for about 4 years with just base paint. The kit is once again available on the Multi-Verse Models website, and I'll post a small blurb in the Mos Espa forum as well.

Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

dark kyp
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: 1/144 Desert Creeper (Sand Crawler)

Post by dark kyp » August 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Nicve job Del, your painting looks awesome :shock:

Del
Jedi Aspirant
Jedi Aspirant

Re: 1/144 Desert Creeper (Sand Crawler)

Post by Del » August 15th, 2019, 11:15 pm

dark kyp wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Nicve job Del, your painting looks awesome :shock:
Thanks. Sorry about the WIP page where I forgot to post the link to the Finished Work thread. I fixed that now. Looking forward to making more stuff dirty now that I'm not as afraid to make a mistake.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!